Saturday, May 8, 2010

My Mom

Happy Mothers Day everyone! Even if you are a Father...Happy Mothers Day!! In honor of mothers day I thought I would write about the best mom in the world....my mom! My mom become a mom for the first time when she was 14 years old, and had her last one, some 20 years later. She lived a short life but she was a mom for a long time!

Now since I am unable to type and cry at the same time, I have decided to keep this entry light hearted and simply write a few words that come to mind when I think about her.

1) Country Music....My mom LOVED country music! The more sad the song the better! She loved George Jones, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn and Conway Twitty just to name a few. She told us she wrote a song and the title was "Many Happy Hangovers to You" I am not 100% sure if this was true, but all of us kids could sing the words to it. Ask me next time you see me and I will sing you a few lines!

2) Drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes....It seemed to me if my Mom wasn't working or running after a kid, she was sitting at the kitchen table having coffee and smoking a cigarette. She wasn't into social clubs, shopping or entertaining, but if you would come over she would offer you a cup of coffee and talk all afternoon. When I walked in the door after school, it was comforting for me to see her there.

3) Special Kids a.k.a. her Grandchildren....She was one Proud Grandma! It seems as though she may have forgotten about her own children just a little, once the grandchildren came along!! She loved them so much and made sure that everyone knew she had them.

4) Animals....My mom was an animal lover. I did not inherit this gene from her at all! I secretly think she may have thought that some of her dogs were human. One of her favorite dogs was Mr. BOGO. I can remember seeing her, sitting outside with that dog and talking to him....I mean like deep, meaningful conversations!! He probably gave her good advice! For a short time she had a pet pig too!

5) Funny Sayings....My mom had a knack for saying funny things and she wouldn't even mean to be funny. One time we were in the kitchen and she kept saying "shhhhhh listen" "do you hear that." Nobody else could "hear" what she was "hearing". One more time she said "Listen....I hear drums" Nobody else heard drums. But she was adamant that she heard them. Then my youngest brother walked over to the coffee pot and unplugged it and she said "Now I dont hear the drums anymore!" It had been the coffee pot perculating!!!! We still laugh at that story!
She gave us lots of laughs like that!

My mom's life was not easy, and we may not have had all the other things that other kids had, but we always knew that our mom loved us....right after country music...and the Special Kids!!

Thanks mom for sacrificing so much, for working so hard, and for loving us!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Kathy that's sweet. What a neat tribute to your momma, and I know there are may more things you could say.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your memories Kathy Sue. Seems like yesterday she was still with us.
    I still miss calling her and sharing that coffee and cigs.
    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. "When the mornin' sun comes up, you'll be sicker than a pup" only Norma would come up with a verse like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And she'd always make toast, and share about 60% of it with her dogs Honey and Tiffy while they jumped up on her house coat and ripped it and her legs to shreds

    ReplyDelete